Dandruff is one of the most common and annoying problems amongst teenagers and adults. Dandruff can occur at any age, it usually creates an embarrassing situation because of the flakes that tend to drop from one’s hair or stick on to the scalp and sometimes on clothes also. General symptoms for this problem are burning sensation on the scalp, scalp itching and fall of flaky skin.
What causes dandruff?
Dandruff can be caused due to internal or external problems. Internal causes can be like poor health, poor hygiene, hormonal imbalance and deficiency of nutrition. External causes can be like hair sprays, cold weather, indoor heating, colouring products, hot hair curlers, stress, anxiety, gels, infrequent shampooing, etc. Dandruff can be dry or greasy. It is caused mostly due to fungus on the scalp. Here we are going to discuss about onion juice as one of the effective home treatments to curb the problem of dandruff. Yes, onion for dandruff is the most wonderful natural remedy you can rely upon.
Ways to Use Onion Juice for Dandruff
1. Fenugreek seeds are the best remedy to treat dandruff. Soak two table spoons of these seeds overnight in water. Now, ground them into a fine paste and mix with onion juice in the morning. Apply this paste on the scalp and wash off after half an hour.
2. Mix Aloe Vera gel with onion juice and apply this mixture to your scalp and lightly massage it in. This mixture will help soothe an itchy scalp. Leave this for about ten minutes and rinse.
3. Take green gram powder and add onion juice. You will have to apply this paste twice a week for the best results.
4. Beets are useful to treat dandruff. Boil them in the water, cool and mix them with onion juice. Massage this mixture into the scalp with the help of finger tips before sleeping.
5. The juice of snake gourd is also considered showing effective results to prevent and cure dandruff. This juice should be mixed with onion juice and rubbed all over the scalp for best results.
6. Onion is an orthodox remedy for treating dandruff and hair loss problems. Onion juice kills the bacteria and white flakes on the scalp. This juice provides nutrients and strength to the roots of hair and stimulates circulation of blood. This is also useful remedy to cure hair fall. Cut onions into big pieces and grind them to make a paste. Rub this paste on your scalp and wash off after 30 minutes or till they are nicely soaked into the roots.
7. To get rid of dandruff, you can also mix onion juice with lemon juice. This helps to discard the bad odour of onion from the hair. This mixture can treat dandruff and can also help in soothing of an itching scalp if used regularly.
8. Onion juice contains anti-bacterial properties, which cleanses the scalp, cures dandruff and also many other scalp infections. They also help to maintain shiny and strong hair. Mix onion juice with 1 tablespoon of honey and apply this on the scalp to treat dandruff naturally.
9. Take 1 tsp of olive oil and mix it with 3 tsps of onion juice. Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair. You can wrap a hot towel over the hair for ½ hour and wash it off with the help of a mild shampoo to treat dandruff in an effective manner.
10. Mix 1 teaspoon lime juice, 5 teaspoons of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of onion juice in a mixer. Now, apply this mixture on the scalp and wash this after 20 to 30 minutes. This will help treat dandruff and clear flakes.
11. Vinegar is rich source of potassium and hence is useful to treat dandruff. You can mix apple cider vinegar and onion juice and massage on the scalp for 5 to 7 minutes.
12. Beat 2 eggs and add some onion juice to this. Apply this evenly on the scalp and wash off after an hour. Eggs are a good conditioner for dry hair caused due to dandruff.
13. Apply 2 tbsp of apple juice mixed with 2 tbsp of onion juice. Leave this on the scalp for about 15 to 20 minutes and then rinse your hair thoroughly.